Monday, 10 July 2017

Brave's Battles: The forgotten Battle Log

The Spring Season has truly finished having reached it's Climax with the USA Long Beach Calafornia Grand Fest and the crowning of Kenny Omega as the IWGP US Champion at the New Japan Pro Wrestling G1 Special taking place within the evenings of the same festival. I am curious how many card players there also attended the NJPW shows.

I am reminded that I never posted my experience from UK Huddersfield at which I played Weiss Schwarz and Futurecard Buddyfight. And also took a judge interview. Something that I feel I might have blown. I more certain about having my rulings down but I'm not so confident about my implementation of sanctions in given situations. In regards to the weekend though my memory is as bad as ever and I remember nothing any more other than I'm 1-1 vs some guy in Weiss and I want to settle that tie breaker should we meet again. But I am not without a back up- since I knew at the time I wouldn't remember what happened by the time I got home.


The following is the stitching together of several notepad sessions on my phone

Tournament Date: June 17th Wiess -18th Buddyfight and Luck & Logic

 
I entered into Weiss Swarchz piloting two copies of the original Love Live Trial Deck mashed together with a focus on raw power.

R1 Vs Angel Beats
Don't ask me how this game works never mind this deck, but I do know regardless of the match up that when you lose 6 of your 8 Climaxes in the first 12 cards of a refreshed deck- prepare to get rekt. - LOSS


R2 Vs SAO
Could have clinched this one, only needed a single damage further but I played a skill that checked top card of the deck and because I just revealed last card I habitually go into refresh when not supposed to creating a incorrect and irreparable game state. The situation here is automatic loss of match no point in calling a judge and wasting their time when the decision in such a scenario is already known. So yeah... would have won but due to idiocy I threw it away. :L LOSS

R3 Vs Cinderella Girls

Idols of a different aesthetic. I happen to like them- but I like BanG Dream more so if I ever actually invested in this game that might be the way I go, except it wouldn't as I'D RATHER GO SYMPHOGEAR BUT THERE'S NO ENGLISH RELEASE!!! I lost again btw.

R4 Vs SAO
? (Even the me making phone notes couldn't remember at the time)
Opponent wins I lose and then we both drop from the main tournament to enter into an 8-man Knockout Brackets side event pod for packs.

While we wait for the pod to reach the required player count I try my hand at Dragoborne and boy is it a mechanical mess. I understand L&L was a marketing disaster, this was mostly due to the art crashing against western ethics. But the game was mechanically solid, unlike this abomination having an identity crisis. It's very similar to L&L but at the same time inferior. The game board is already cluttered and then they add in dice elements on top of that increasing the random aspects of chance within the game. I don't see this product taking off and I myself will be avoiding any investment into it.

Side Event R1
Rematch with my Round 4 Opponent of the main tournament this time with me scoring the win.

Side Event R2 Vs Kancolle Abyss Fleet
Game was very tight with and amusing but as for the details of what happened when I'm drawing blanks. The loss meant I was out of the pod but I did recover my entry cost, then blew on packs of Luck and Logic which were heavily discounted due to it of course being a dead game.

Overall for Weiss 1-5

Day 2:


I was more serious about Buddyfight than I was with Wiess but even so my objective was to try and get that first nationals match win, I certainly don't have enough experience to even be on par with the mid-card but even if I get thrashed constantly for some reason I still get more enjoyment out of Buddyfight than Vanguard currently.

R1 Vs Thunder Empire
Or as I call it 5LifeDead.dek

Highly popular, made up the majority of the metagame in Huddersfeild.

In game 1 I successfully nullified a Battz call using Plasma-mine but even with that threat thwarted I couldn't sustain my defence, in part due to having Ridden X-Blazer the worst Ride I could have gotten.

In game 2 post Sideboard I was able to fend of many attacks but repeated aggression wore my defences thin and once through Battz came in, I had no answer to this and his double attack put me into impact kill range.

I hate Battz. That may be salt talking but the card just doesn't seem fair at all.

In any case, a LOSS is a loss.

R2 Vs Duel Yeager (Vs Hughes)

Round 2 pits me against someone I know and a deck I know- or rather thought I knew.
Considering how often I have fought Ancient World and even this deck itself I should have done better than what actually played out.
 I didn't expect to win Game 1 as my tools for handling walls are all stored in my sideboard and infact the sideboard is especially targeted at being Wall Hate. Unfortunately sideboarding your tools in only matters if you ever actually see those tools and I did not.
2 rounds in and 2 losses right of the bat and this was one match that I really wanted to win to.

R3 Vs Golden Buddy Sun Deck
I lost to a stock pre-con deck- I've got nothing. No comment just shame.

R4 Vs Dungeon Memes
I have no other means of explaining the deck other than memes.
I won round 1, bring in side board thinking I had a good idea what the opponent's deck did and this ended up being a mistake. I got swiftly destroyed by something entirely different from what I'd prepared for happening, and then realised shit I don't have an answer to this the same happened in game 3.

R5 vs Thunder Formation
 I was the second Hero World user this person faced and it seems Hero World had his number. I didn't feel like I actually did all that much myself but at the same time sucesffully sitting atop a wall of defence limited the number of attacks he could make each turn and I was able to output more damage than him because of it. Round goes 2-0 in my favour. I didn't use sideboard after the first win this time.

OBJECTIVE ACHIEVED but 1 round remained.

R6 Vs Dragon Trials
What I mean by that is ALL the Dragon World Trial decks mixed together to make... something...
I was facing off against Jank, jank that by all accounts successfully defeated me. But the opponent revealed they had the kill, chose not to play it.
I won Game 1.
In Game 2 he launched an all out attack I used Body of Steel to repel but he answered with Drago Energy brining the sum of his attack once level with my enhanced defence overpowering me and hitting the lethal.
Game 3 he could won, he got into Punisher Range, had the card and the guage, demonstrated that he had the win but didn't finalise the play opting instead pass the turn. I don't understand why but as I was shown mercy, I repaid the opponent by wiping them out.
Rule of competitive play: never show mercy. I could have conceded knowing I had already been beaten but I was offered the window so I took the kill. Strange episode that statistically I won, but truthfully I lost. So how am I supposed to record this?
WIN or LOSS?
I don't know, so I'll turn that question over to the reader to decide.

Depending on interpretation my final score for Buddyfight is either 2-4 or 1-5

In turn for means for the entire weekend I went either 3-9 or 2-10.
Still a dire record either way.

I do have a parting word to say and that is that the venue and staff were highly pleasant, honestly preferred this space compared to playing at Play Expo though we were technically playing a basement. The IQ Games Centre store is very neatly laid out and with 3 stories they are able to have War Games on the shop floor, where there's dedicated tables, while also running at least 2 other events at the same time. 1 large event could take place on each floor and that's impressive though I shudder to think about the rent.

V-Out.